“…Don’t want none, unless you got buns hun”…apparently Sir Mix-A-Lot has not tried this fabulous bun-less skillet! I love a good sausage hoagie smothered in peppers- in my world it’s a fair food staple. I somehow always justify that it is healthy, since it has veggies on top 🙂
I decided to recreate this masterpiece to be a little more health contentious and follow the guidelines of Whole30. Store bought sausages can be tricky- if you are sticking to the rules of Whole30. I only buy uncured meats that are very minimally processed- always being “no nitrate”. I found some delicious Hot Italian Chicken Sausage at Aldi- that meets this requirement. You can use your favorite brand of pre-cooked sausage.
Whole30 Sausage Skillet Ingredient List
- 2 packs of your favorite compliant, fully cooked sausage.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 package of sliced mini portabella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of finely diced cilantro (either fresh or dehydrated)
- 1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- Chop your sausage into bite size pieces. Chop your peppers and mushrooms into strips.
- Add Olive oil to the frying pan to coat. Add all ingredients to frying pan and saute over medium heat. Stirring often to avoid burning.
- Cook until veggies are fork tender and sausage has a nice brown glaze.
- Serve immediately.